This quinoa salad feels just perfect for summer so long as you can brave turning your oven on (although the vegetables can also be grilled). Not only does it take advantage of the overflowing summer vegetables, but it’s delicious served at room temperature or cold, so it makes for a refreshing side or meal on a steamy summer day. You can use whatever herbs you have around (either basil and mint, both so notoriously prolific, would work here, and I used a combination of thyme and oregano), and feel free to add a little goat cheese, feta, or parmesan, too. Easily adaptable and full of flavor, this is a versatile recipe that’s definitely worth having up your sleeve.
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad (adapted from Food Loves Writing)
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 1 zucchini, chopped into roughly 1-inch cubes
- 2 bell peppers, chopped into roughly 1-inch square pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved vertically
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well*
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 3 – 4 large leaves of kale or other hearty green, torn into pieces
- 5 – 6 sprigs herbs of choice, finely minced**
- juice of 1 lemon
*I used red quinoa, but regular white quinoa will also work fine.
**I used thyme and oregano.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss 1 zucchini, chopped into roughly 1-inch cubes, 2 bell peppers, chopped into roughly 1-inch square pieces, and 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved vertically with 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to a roasting pan or baking sheet, spreading into a single layer.
- Roast, stirring every 15 minutes, until the edges start to caramelize and the largest pieces of zucchini are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, combine 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well with 2 cups water or vegetable stock, then bring to a boil.
- Stir in 3 – 4 large leaves of kale or other hearty green, torn into pieces, lower heat, and let simmer, covered, until the quinoa has absorbed all the broth, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- When quinoa is done, remove from heat, and fluff with a fork. Stir in the roasted vegetables.
- Stir in juice of 1 lemon and extra olive oil, salt, and pepper, as needed. This salad can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.