I’ve long been a proponent of roasting vegetables – it’s an easy way to enhance their flavor without even needing to add anything (other than a little olive oil and a pinch of salt). But I don’t think I’ve posted any recipes before with roasted broccoli. It’s a great focal point for a salad like this, where the concentrated flavors are well-complemented by the intense umami of sun-dried tomatoes. A simple balsamic honey reduction adds sweetness. Hard-boiled eggs add a great additional texture and help to balance the other strong flavors (although I think this salad would still be quite good as a vegan version without them). I can never resist putting nuts, seeds, and dried fruit on my salads, and this is no exception, with almonds, sesame seeds, and raisins rounding things out here. All together, the ingredients make for a sophisticated and delicious salad, with more than enough components to make it a satisfying meal.
Roasted Broccoli and Sun-dried Tomato Salad
Yield: 4 entrees
- 1 large head broccoli, broken into bite-sized florets
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey*
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces**
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped*
- 16 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped***
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
*Substitute agave nectar for the honey, and omit the hard-boiled eggs to make the salad vegan.
**Or whatever lettuce you like most, of course. Spinach would also work well.
***If using dry ones, rehydrate in boiling water for 30 minutes or in olive oil overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss 1 large head broccoli, broken into bite-sized florets with 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste. Spread evenly in a roasting pan, and roast until browned at the edges and easily pierced with a fork, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbsp honey, the cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, top 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces with the roasted broccoli, 4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped, 16 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped, 1/2 cup sliced almonds, 1/4 cup raisins, and 2 Tbsp sesame seeds. Drizzle with the honey balsamic reduction, as well as 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste.