I remember baking shortbread when I was younger and craving something sweet. The memory is fuzzy so I must’ve been fairly young, perhaps late elementary school, but I definitely remember the feelings of surprise and pride at my ability to combine ingredients and create something delicious. Shortbread is still a favorite of mine and, luckily for young me, is quite easy to throw together. Adding a little corn starch, as I’ve done here, helps to create the rich crumbly texture. This version is also delicately flavored with lavender and honey for a grown-up twist (that kids will still love). A great recipe, no matter your age!
Honey Lavender Shortbread (adapted from Evil Shenanigans)
Yield: 16 2″x2″ pieces of shortbread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dried lavender flowers
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sea salt*
*Ideally fleur de sel, but even kosher salt will work in a pinch.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8″x8″ pan with parchment paper, allowing for a couple of inches of overhang, then butter the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp corn starch, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp dried lavender flowers, and 1 tsp kosher salt.
- Add 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature, and use your fingers or a fork to incorporate into the flour mix until the dough resembles coarse crumbs. This should only take a couple of minutes; be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Add 3 Tbsp honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and stir in until thoroughly combined.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Dock the top well with a fork, making sure not to press the fork all the way through the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with sea salt.
- Bake until the cookies are golden brown all over, and the center of the cookies feel firm when lightly pressed, about 35 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing.
- Remove using the parchment overhang to lift the shortbread from the pan. Use a sharp knife to cut into the 16 squares.